Thursday 5 December 2013

The following is a list of possible Mastheads I have come up with for my magazine. It is in keeping with my chosen genres of Indie, Brit Pop, Soft Rock & the Mod scene. For inspiration, I looked at similar magazines whilst also scouring the back catalogue of songs of the more classic and legendary bands I would feature in my Publication.


  • Modern World
  • My Generation
  • Twist & Shout
  • Satisfaction


MODERN WORLD - this is the title of the 1977 hit by The Jam, of the same name. I felt this possible Masthead would be clearly nostalgic, whilst also the reference to "Modern" suggests a focus on contemporary music, or at least a contemporary journalistic approach to the music featured. I toyed with the idea of the Masthead "Mod." but I felt that this would be too genre specific, suggesting the magazine only appeals to the Mod scene, therefore off putting for people outside of this circle, due to it's possible cult status.


MY GENERATION - this Masthead was inspired by the 1965 hit by the band The Who. Similar to that of the first example, I felt this was again nostalgic, but also suggested a defiant youthful mode of address, appealing to a younger audience interested in non mainstream music; a niche market.


TWIST & SHOUT - this particular example is inspired by a song originally released by The Isley Brothers in 1961, and despite the record being 52 years old, it still bares a lot of popularity amongst younger audiences, due to it being covered by a number of iconic groups and bands such as The Beatles. This, I felt, boded well for the mode of address I desired; bringing classic and legendary music to the youth of today.


SATISFACTION - finally, this was inspired by The Rolling Stones 1965 hit. The Rolling Stones have achieved iconic like status, appealing to audiences of all ages. The mass scramble for tickets and merchandise released for their 50th Anniversary year is an example of this. A positive of this Masthead is that it gives the audience a sense of satisfaction when reading it, whilst also adearing to my concept for the magazine, that was previously stated. However I feel that it could possibly be mistaken for a Rolling Stones fan magazine, which could be misleading

No comments:

Post a Comment